Schuyler-Colfax Historic House Museum – 2343 Hamburg Turnpike
The Dey Mansion/Washington’s Headquarters Museum – 199 Totowa Road
Historic Structures and Sites
Van Saun House – 23 Laauwe Avenue: This old Dutch home was built in 1769 by Samuel Van Saun and is presently a private residence. Major-General Marquis de Lafayette made this home his headquarters during the 1780 encampment of the Continental Army. The still active spring, which flows into the Singac Brook, maintains a 34 degree temperature year round and refreshed many a man and horse.
Mead House – 231 Parish Drive: Built in 1780 by Jacob K. Mead, a direct descendant of the founder of Mead’s Basin, this home forms the left wing of the huge mansion built in 1929 by LeGrand Parish. The house is now owned by the Lakeland Unitarian-Universalist Fellowship.
Ryerson Homestead – 44 Newark-Pompton Turnpike: Built in 1784 by Abraham Ryerson, who is a direct descendant of one of Wayne’s first settlers. This home is now a private residence and also serves as a business location.
Henry Casey House – 1329 Hamburg Turnpike: The first Wayne Township organizational meeting took place in this house on April 12, 1847. It is currently a private residence and a business address.
Demarest House – 378 Fairfield Road: This 1760 homestead is believed to have been built by John Ryerson, and used as a parsonage for the Dutch Reformed Churches. It was dismantled and rebuilt in 1850 to rid the house of ghosts. The Demarest family bought it in 1814. It is now owned privately.
Terhune Memorial (Sunnybank) – Terhune Drive: In 1860, the Reverend Edward Payson Terhune and his bride settled on this sloping hill on the east shore of Pompton Lake. Their son, Albert Payson Terhune, was raised here and became famous as the author of Lad and other dog stories. Headstones mark the graves of favorite dogs. Sunnybank is now a town park. The house was in too great a state of disrepair to be saved.
Tollkeeper House – 2332 Hamburg Turnpike: Built in the 1700’s to house George Colfax, the toll collector on the road from Paterson to Hamburg. To supplement his income, Colfax was also a cobbler. This home currently is a private residence.
Mountainview Schools: The first school was a dug-out school built in 1743 on what is now Parish Drive near the Community Fire Company Number One. In 1812 a new Mountain View School was built on Boonton Road. In 1920 a newer school was built across the street at 64 Boonton Road., and the old school was converted into the Town Hall of Wayne. It presently houses American Legion Post 174. The school on Boonton Road is now a bank.
Old Preakness Schools – 1006 Hamburg Turnpike: The small white building was built in 1866 as a single story structure to be used as old district school #14. A second story was added and it was renamed School #2. While still owned by the town, it is rented to a business. The newer school, which closed in 1977, is now the Wayne Civic Center and houses the Preakness Branch of the Wayne Public Library.
The Preakness Reformed Church Cemetery – 131 Church Lane: This is the only public cemetery in Wayne. Stones dating back to 1798 include names of those prominent in the town’s early history – Berdan, Van Riper, MacDonald, Hinchman, Ratcliffe, Garside. A self-guided tour is available at the Church.
Adapted from Know Your Town Wayne New Jersey Published by the League of Women Voters of Wayne Township.
Wayne Township Structures and Sites of National and/or State significance
|1||Schuyler–Colfax House||2343 Paterson-Hamburg Tpke||Circa 1700||Oldest House and Museum – On National and State Registers of Historic Places|
|2||Dey Mansion||199 Totowa Road||1770s||Gen Washington Hdqtrs|
Museum – On National and State Registers of Historic Places
|3||Samuel Van Saun House||23 Laauwe Ave||1769||Gen Lafayette Hdqtrs|
|4||Van Riper–Hopper House||533 Berdan Ave||1786||Museum – On National and State Registers of Historic Places|
|5||Mead–Van Duyne House||533 Berdan Ave, ex Fairfield Rd||1706|
|Museum – Removed from National Register when moved from original site. On State Register of Historic Places.|
Wayne Township Location Directory to Other Hsitoric Structures and Sites
|6||American Legion Hall||Mountain View Blvd||School – Town Hall|
|7||Blind Man’s House||27 Newark-Pompton Tpke||Mr. Burdett’s son wrote book|
|8||Henry Casey House||1329 Paterson-Hamburg Tpke||1st Town Meeting|
|9||Geo Washington Colfax House||Dawes Highway (moved – razed)||1810|
|10||Demarest House||427 Fairfield Road||1760 private residence|
|11||DeMilleSchool||Terhune Drive (raised)||nursing home site now|
|12||Demont-Ryerson Store||20 Newark–Pompton Tpke|
|13||Gabriel’s Hotel (Hixon)||95 Mountain View Blvd|
|14||Mead – Parish House||231 Parish Drive||Unitarian/Universalist Fellowship|
|15||Preakness Reformed Church and Cemetery||131 Church Lane||Oldest Church|
|16||Shackelton’s (canal) Store||90 Mountain View Blvd|
|17||Thomas Van Saun House||1158 Preakness Ave||Flying Hospital Site|
|18||Sheffield Farms||861 Black Oak Ridge Road||Dairy|
|19||UpperPreaknessSchool||1022 Paterson Hamburg Tpk.||Oldest School|
|20||William B. Ryerson House||452 Newark-Pompton Tpk.||Lucas Ryerson – tall clock maker|
|21||H. George L. Ryerson House|
|44 Newark-Pompton Tpk.||Built 1784 – Commercial Building|
|22||WOOW Radio – Voice of America transmitting station||Ryerson Avenue (west end)||Demolished in 1996|