Passaic County New Jersey

Close this search box.

Flood Protection Information

Public Works


Flood protection information is available from numerous sources including Floodsmart at and DHS/FEMA at

Flood Risk

Find the flood risk to your property using the FEMA Flood Map Service Center at

The FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) were updated in 2020. Information regarding flood mapping, flood depths and building requirements for flood prone properties is available at the Engineering Office at Town Hall or by calling 973-694-1800 x 3263.

Flood Insurance

Regular Homeowner Insurance policies do not cover flood damage. Since Wayne Township participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, federally backed insurance is available to property owners and tenants for the structure and for the contents of the structure at a discounted rate. Rates do not differ from company to company or agent to agent. The flood insurance rates depend on many factors, including the age of your home, the type of construction and the elevation and location of the building.

DON’T WAIT FOR THE NEXT FLOOD TO PURCHASE FLOOD INSURANCE. In most cases, there is a 30 day waiting period before flood insurance coverage takes effect. Contact your local insurance agent for more information on flood insurance rates and coverage.

Flood Protection Measures

Consider permanent flood protection measures by retrofitting items in your home.

Retrofitting reduces damages to the home and utilities and helps residents get back into their homes more quickly after flooding. Retrofitting can include:

  • Moving you circuit breaker box and other electrical systems above the flood level.
  • Elevating your hot water heater and furnace to an area that is above the flood level
  • Moving your washer and dryer to a higher floor.
  • Installing a backflow device on your sanitary sewer line to prevent sewer lines from backing up into your home during floods.

Flood Area Building Permits

Be advised that the building permit process for homes within the flood areas has changed. Minor work that may not require a Building permit may now require a Flood permit. If the cost of the improvement over a 5 year period is more than 50% of the appraised value of the building, the building will be required to meet all flood regulations and may need to be elevated or flood proofed. NJDEP Flood Determination and NJDEP permits may also be required. You must contact the Building Department regarding any work to be done at a property within the flood zone.

Contact Information

Flood Information – Engineering Division 973-694-1800 x 3263

Garbage and Recycling Information – 973-694-1800 x 3315

Office of Emergency Management – 973-694-5050

Additional flood information can be found on the Wayne Engineering page and on the Wayne Office of Emergency Management page.