Passaic County New Jersey

Close this search box.

Parks and Recreation FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the hours of operation of the Parks & Recreation Department?

The Wayne Parks & Recreation Office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The office will remain open until 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday nights. The Parks & Recreation Department is located inside Town Hall at 475 Valley Road, Wayne, NJ 07470. Phone: 973-694-1800 x 3260.

What does the Parks & Recreation Department do?

Parks and Recreation provides a variety of services including maintenance of Township parks and street trees, community and special events, athletic leagues for youth and adults, bus trips, instructional classes, and arts and cultural programming. The Department also provides senior transportation services, manages the Township’s historic homes and Tree Permit applications.

Do you offer programs for me?

Yes, we offer programs for all ages. Programs change seasonally, so check our website frequently for updates.

Can I register for programs online?

Yes, online registration is available through our Civic Rec Portal.

Does Wayne Township have swimming facilities?

Yes, there are two seasonal swimming facilities. The James W. Roe Memorial Pool is located at 133 Garside Avenue and features several attractions including a splash pad, toddler pool, two slides, a diving well, playground, basketball, concession stand, and a 15,000 square foot heated main pool. The Pool is open to Wayne Residents from Memorial Day through Labor Day. A membership is required. Tom’s Lake is located inside Captain Kilroy Park at 6 Concord Place. Inside the facility are basketball courts, a children’s playground, concession stand, and a ¼ acre swimming lake featuring a diving dock, lap lanes, and a Wibit play area. The lake is open from Memorial Day through mid-August each year.

Is there anything FREE for me to do in Wayne?

Yes, there are many things to do here in Wayne at no cost! Wayne Township has 22 parks including Laurelwood Arboretum that are free and open to the public. To see the amenities at each park please visit our Parks & Recreation Facilities page. The Township also offers seasonal special events such as the Easter Carnival, Summer Concerts, Fall Frolic, Holiday Tree Lighting, and Menorah Lighting events that are free and open to the public.

How do I obtain permission to use a Township Athletic Field?

Field permit requests may be submitted to the Parks and Recreation Department electronically through the Township website by clicking on the Recreation Facilities Application tab. Permits are required for any organized activities or groups of 15 or more. Groups must carry liability insurance. Field permit fees may apply. For more information please contact the Recreation Department at 973-694-1800 x 3283.

How do I obtain permission to use an athletic field located on the Board of Education property?

All inquiries for a permit to use a field on Board of Education property must be made to the Wayne Board of Education at 973-317-2183.

Where do I find information about cutting down trees on my property?

Please click here for tree removal information.