The commander of the Uniformed Patrol Division is:
Captain Michael McNiff
Uniformed Patrol Division
The first line of defense for the protection of the residents of Wayne Township is the uniformed Patrol Division. Patrol officers are deployed throughout Wayne Township, twenty-four hours a day, every day of the year, to provide security and immediate response to any emergency that may arise. Each officer is trained as a First Responder, with certifications in CPR and the use of the Automated External Defibrillator for life-threatening medical emergencies. All Patrol Division vehicles are equipped with Mobile Computer Terminals (MCT’s) which enable officers to receive calls for service, assist with criminal and motor vehicle enforcement, and prepare investigative reports. Patrol Division officers are trained in first aid, self-defense, crime and crash investigations, speed detection radar, Alcotest operation, and drug recognition.
Members of the Wayne Police Enforcement Unit, as part of the uniformed Patrol Division, are tasked with focusing on traffic violations, crime prevention, and drug interdiction efforts throughout the township.
The Wayne Police Traffic Bureau continues to actively enforce traffic and vehicle equipment violations and to provide a multi-faceted approach to educational programs conducted by its members.
In addition to traffic enforcement, the Traffic Bureau investigates serious and fatal motor vehicle crashes. Many collisions require extensive investigation into the cause and circumstances of the incident. The members also coordinate their investigations with the Passaic County Prosecutors Office.
Statistics prove that moving violations are the leading cause of motor vehicle crashes. The overall number of collisions investigated by the department increases yearly. The Traffic Bureau uses the most technologically advanced equipment available in speed enforcement, including hand-held lasers capable of tracking a vehicle and its speed at great distances, to help reduce violations. These devices allow the officers to determine precise speed measurements and pinpoint (isolate) violators in heavy traffic.
The Traffic Bureau is also tasked with providing the following services:
- Liaison with the Wayne Township Elementary Schools Student Safety Program.
- Participation in the “Safety Town” and “Otto-the-Auto” educational programs.
- Conduct traffic surveys for the Township Council, Planning Board, and Board of Adjustment.
- Work closely with State and County agencies for the warranting and placement of regulatory and warning signs, signals, and pavement markings.
- Training and maintaining Alcotest, radar, and laser certification requirements.
- Compile statistics regarding motor vehicle collisions and violations.
- Produce local television public safety tips.
- Conduct child car seat inspections.
- Review and monitor construction sites to ensure contractor compliance with safety standards and municipal ordinances.
- Administer DUI, seat belt use, and distracted driver enforcement under State funding.