Senior Citizens Advisory Committee
The Wayne Township Senior Citizen Advisory Committee serves at the discretion and direction of the Mayor to render services to seniors and to seek ways to assist senior citizens in their quality of life. The Committee has served seniors for approximately 5 years, with membership open to all adults who are interested in assisting the community. New members are admitted upon approval of the Mayor.
Whenever a situation is presented to the Committee, we do our best to act on it as soon as possible. We know through Committee Surveys that many seniors are concerned about property taxes, traffic, and transportation here in our community. We have taken steps to bring these concerns to the attention of those in charge.
We have successfully advocated with the Parks and Recreation Department for the recent purchase of two new busses, one having accessibility for the handicap. We recently published an article in the newspapers outlining the requirements needed for having property taxes frozen for some of our seniors who meet the criteria. We've worked with our Police Department is making every effort to solve some of the traffic problems throughout the Township, including the installation of speed bumps in heavily trafficked areas to help increase safety and reduce the speed of vehicles.
Our ongoing services include:
- Trades People Booklet: A publication whereby we try to bring good tradespeople to our seniors for their necessities. This booklet can be picked up at the Wayne Department of Senior & Social Services at Town Hall or by calling 973-694-1800, extension 3281.
- Senior Citizen Resource Booklet: A listing of important telephone numbers seniors would find handy. Again, this booklet can be picked up at the Wayne Department of Senior & Social Services at Town Hall or by calling 973-694-1800, extension 3281.
- Medicare Annual Election Period (AEP): Once a year, Medicare offers members a chance to change prescription drug plans or enroll in a plan if you missed earlier deadlines.
- Newspaper Articles: Periodic publications of interest through the Wayne Today Newspaper and Life & Leisure Newspaper
Membership meetings are held at least ten times a year in the Health Department's Meeting Room #2 in Town Hall on the third Monday of each month. There are no meetings during July and August.
Currently, we have membership representation from several entities in Wayne Township, including:
- Annunciation Church
- Golden Age
- Golden Key Senior Group
- Our Lady of Valley Church
- Packanack Lake
- Pines Lake
- Wayne Adult Community Center
- Siena Village
- Sisco Village
We plan to use this web site to inform you of upcoming events, issues of interest, and any other matters that arise, so that you can be fully informed.
For further information or to request assistance, please send us an email.